Roasted Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad With Mango Balsamic Vinaigrette
For the salad:
1 small sweet potato, unpeeled, diced into bite-sized pieces 1 tablespoon olive oil Salt and pepper to taste 1/4 cup quinoa 1/2 cup black beans 1/4 red pepper, diced 2 cups greens (you choose) 1 tablespoon dried cranberries 1 tablespoon salted sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
1/4 cup mango, fresh or frozen 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 1 1/2 tablespoons water
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Place the sweet potatoes in a bowl, add oil, and stir to coat. Sprinkle with a touch of salt and pepper. Spread evenly on a pan, and roast for 20 or so minutes, stirring a couple times, until the potatoes are soft.
3. Place the quinoa and half a cup of water in a covered pot on high. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the liquid is all soaked up and the quinoa is tender.
4. Puree the mango with the balsamic vinegar and water, and set aside.
5. Allow the roasted potatoes and quinoa to cool to room temperature.
6. Start layering the salad in the jar beginning with the black beans. Add the cooked quinoa, and pour the mango balsamic vinaigrette on top.
7. Top with diced red pepper, greens, roasted sweet potatoes, dried cranberries, and sunflower seeds.
8. Screw top on securely, and store in the fridge.
When you're ready to eat, give the jar a good shake to mix everything up and enjoy!
Sheena Temple has been a certified personal trainer for over four years and is the owner of High Desert Fitness. It's her vision to provide a comfortable environment for clients to train and improve their overall health and wellness.