Have your (carrot) cake and eat it too, but without all the calories and fat found in a traditional sugary slice. These no-bake protein balls are sweet, nutty, and soft, and they're cake-like without a drop of flour. Made with raw cashews, pecans, dates, raw carrot, rolled oats, and unsweetened coconut, each 88-calorie snack offers 3.3 grams of protein.
Carrot Cake Protein Balls
1 cup raw cashews 3/4 cup rolled oats 1/2 cup dates 4 ounces unsweetened applesauce 1 serving vanilla plant-based protein powder (about 35 grams) 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon cloves 1 carrot, grated 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts) 1/3 cup rolled in unsweetened coconut
1. Add the cashews, oats, dates, applesauce, protein powder, and spices to the food processor. Turn on until a choppy dough forms, several minutes.
2. Add the grated carrot and pecans until thoroughly mixed. The dough will appear slightly sticky.
3. Pour unsweetened shredded coconut into a bowl.
4. Roll dough into balls, roll each one in the coconut, and place on a clean cookie sheet.
5. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to set. Store uneaten balls in an airtight container in the fridge.
Category Snacks Yield 18 balls Cook Time 20 minutes
Calories per serving 88
(recipe from fitsugar.com)
Sheena Temple has been a certified personal trainer for over four years and is the owner of High Desert Fitness. It's her vision to provide a comfortable environment for clients to train and improve their overall health and wellness.